Following the Munjoy Hill Neighborhood Organization's published position on the preservation of the treasured vista from Fort Sumner Park, the Observer continues its coverage of the site.
In August we republished Ken Thompson's February, 1983 treatise on the Revolutionary War era fort. Since then, there has been little movement in the development of the downhill site at 155 Sheridan which threatens to compromise the historic panorama with the exception of a reworked, yet still obtrusive, design submitted to the City. No level-III site plan has yet been submitted by developer Bernard Saulnier.
In this installment of historical coverage of Fort Sumner, an 1886 volume brings into relief several aspects of the site not commonly understood. Notably, the nature of the covered way (more of a trench) connecting the hilltop citadel to the Monument St. battery, which was never completed due the high cost of remediating the loose earth in that area.