BANGOR: AARP Maine is promoting a set of meetings hosted by the Maine Public Utilities Commission (PUC) regarding basic landline telephone services. The first of those meetings will take place this week in Bangor, according to AARP Maine. Bangor City Hall this Thursday, The meetings are aimed at offering FairPoint Communications customers and other residents an opportunity to ask questions about proposed changes in landline telephone service throughout Maine as deregulation measures are rolled out according to a new Maine law. AARP has said the changes may pose confusion to many residents utilizing landline telephone services including the elderly.
Beginning in August, FairPoint customers throughout twenty-two of Maine’s most populous towns will begin seeing changes in their landline telephone service, according to AARP Maine. Meetings will be held in the following cities with noted time and locations. Only Provider of Last Resort (POLR) customers will be affected by the upcoming deregulation of FairPoint’s basic landline telephone service. Residents who aren't certain of their POLR customer status may contact FairPoint at 1-866-984-2001. Non FairPoint customers and those outside the twenty-two municipalities will not be affected by the proposed changes.
· July 7, 6-7pm, Bangor City Hall, 73 Harlow Street, Bangor 04401
· July 13, 6-7pm, Lewiston City Hall, 27 Pine Street, Lewiston 04240
· July 14, 6-7pm, Sanford City Hall Annex, 919 Main Street, Sanford 04073
· July 21, 6-7pm, South Portland City Hall, 25 Cottage Road, South Portland 04106
· July 28, 6-7pm, Biddeford City Hall, 205 Main Street, Biddeford 04005
· August 2, 6-7pm, Auburn City Hall Council Chambers, 60 Court Street, Auburn 04210
· August 3, 6-7pm, Portland City Hall, 389 Congress Street, Portland 04101