Emery Dodge, Jr., and Beverley Dodge at Hilton's Drugstore soda fountain (above). Photo from a 4 x 5" gelatin silver negative, published in the August 21, 1937 Portland Press Herald.
Hilton's Drugstore came along just after 1900, but before that, 129 Congress (NE corner of North/Congress), was the site of an Underground Railroad stop, the barber shop of Charles Eastman, which burned in the great fire of 1866. In recent years it was the Laura Fuller Glass Studio.
At the time of the 1937 article, Theara and Mary Hilton ran the drugstore, the plate glass window facing Congress St. was the largest piece of glass in town at 13.5' x 7.5'. It's now divided into three panes. Mr. Theara Hilton lived (and died) at 33 Congress St., one house from the Eastern Promenade.