The photographer is Joseph Harrison Lamson (1840-1901) of Portland, Maine. The photographer’s father was a maker of daguerrotypes and his mother was an artist. He began his career in photography in Bangor, Maine and then worked in Cuba, the West Indies, and South America. He made a fortune and then bought a studio in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He then moved to Maine and operated a photographic studio in Portland. He photographed the poets Longfellow and Whittier. When he died, his two sons took over the studio.
110-118 Congress St. has been many things. Early on, it was Carleton's Castle in the 1850s, a Socony gas station in the 1920s, the Whole Grocer in the 2000s, now it is home to the 118 Congress St. condos. In the second picture below, note Monument School in the background. Few pictures exist of this brick schoolhouse that sat on the north side of Monument St. between Atlantic and Munjoy Streets. Monument school closed after the Marada F. Adams School opened on Beckett St.
Before it was Hilltop Coffee Shop, Bar Lola, 100 Congress, Rick's, etc. Way back in 1924, there was a lively group of shops at 100 Congress (corner of Atlantic). This little compound consisted of a barber shop, George Nanos' Fruit Store, the Quality Fish Shop and the Munjoy Food Shop!
Nanos inherited the building in 1922 and sold it in 1926 for $5,000.