The Original St. Lawrence Church

St. Lawrence Church, photo by Rufus Cutler Libby, 1897. Courtesy Maine Historical Society.

The original St. Lawrence Church stood at 59 St. Lawrence St. It was named for the street, not the Saint. The street, in turn, was named for the Atlantic & St. Lawrence Railroad (as was neighboring Atlantic St.) which in turn was named for the St. Lawrence River, the railroad's terminus, which runs through Québec Province in Canada. The church was replaced early in the 20th century by a handsome double 3-flat clapboard apartment house which remains today where St. Lawrence St. meets Sherbrooke St.

59 St. Lawrence St. today.

57-59 St. Lawrence St. in 1924.