July 4th Event Schedule:
Public Reading of the Declaration of Independence by former State Rep. Herb Adams and viewing of the Dunlap Broadside copy of the Declaration (1 of 26 surviving copies) at Maine Historical Society, at 489 Congress Street.
Vendors open to public along the Eastern Promenade
Munjoy Hill closed to traffic
VIP tent opens.
Munjoy Hill closed to handicapped parking
“Stars & Stripes Spectacular” Opening Ceremony.
PSO “Patriotic Pops Concert” with Guest Artist Melissa Manchester begins!
Fireworks show begins
Munjoy Hill will be closed to all traffic at 4:00 PM on July 4th (Residents showing proof of residency will be permitted through barricades at base of Munjoy Hill). Handicapped parking is available on a first come first served basis along Cutter Street and Fort Allen Park. Clearly marked handicapped vehicles will be allowed to pass the barricades until 6:00 PM. Drivers must approach Cutter Street from Fore Street to enter.
Street Closures and Parking Restrictions:
The East End Boat launch as well as Cutter Street and all the parking lots on Cutter Street will be closed from 10:00 PM July 3rd to 6:30 AM July 5th or 6:30 a.m., July 6th if a rain date is necessary. Boaters can access alternate launches nearby including the Falmouth Town Landing on Route 88 ($10.00 for nonresident, 207.781.7317), Bug Light Boat Launch in South Portland ($5 for resident, $6 for nonresident) and Portland Yacht Services (207.774.1067).
Parking will be restricted for the following streets from 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM, July 4th (extended to 11:00 PM on July 5th in case of rain date):
- Eastern Promenade (both sides) from Morning Street to Washington Avenue
- Fort Allen Park (both sides) + Cutter Street
- Walnut Street from the Eastern Promenade to Washington Avenue
- Mountfort Street from Congress Street to Fore Street (both sides)
There are a number of parking garages and lots just a short walk from the Eastern Promenade, to view a list or map, visit the city’s website.
At 10:00 AM on July 4th, the following streets will be closed to the public until 11:00 PM (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5) in order to facilitate the festival setup and maintain an emergency access route:
- Eastern Promenade from Morning Street to Walnut Street
- Wilson Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Moody Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Congress Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
At 11:00 AM on July 4th, the following streets will be closed to the public until 11:00 PM (rain date would extend closures to 11:00 PM July 5) in order to maintain an emergency access route:
- Turner Street from Morning Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Quebec Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Melbourne Street from Emerson Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Montreal Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade
- Walnut Street from Willis Street to the Eastern Promenade